Exercise is Medicine
About the Initiative
Exercise is Medicine® on Campus (EIM-OC) is a program calling upon universities and colleges to engage in the promotion of physical activity as a vital sign of health. EIM-OC encourages faculty, staff, and students to work together toward improving the health and well-being of the campus community by:
- Making movement a part of the daily campus culture.
- Assessing physical activity at every student health visit.
- Providing students, with the tools necessary to strengthen healthy physical activity habits that can last a lifetime.
- Connecting university health care providers with university health fitness specialists to provide a referral system for exercise prescriptions.
EIM-OC at Illinois
EIM On Campus (EIM-OC) honors campuses for their participation and engagement. Schools earn gold, silver or bronze status based on their activities related to physical activity promotion, education and EIM integration into campus health services.
- 2023 Gold Level Recognition Award
- 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 (plus a COVID Recognition Badge), and 2022 Gold Level Recognition Award
Chancellor Proclamation 2023
As a participant in Exercise is Medicine On Campus(EIM-OC), which calls upon universities to promote physical activity, the University of Illinois has entered the Mascot Challenge. Universities were tasked with creating a video exemplifying the theme "Together We Move." Watch Campus Rex and Buddy learn about the importance of being active!
Committee Members 2023-2024
Chair: Nicholas Burd, Ph.D., Kinesiology and Community Health
Felicia Burton, Campus Recreation
Devanshi Bhadola (Graduate Student Representative)
Billy Braid, (Undergraduate Student Representative)
Alana Harris, Ph.D, Campus Recreation
Kristin Manzi, the Counseling Center
Jack Senefeld, Ph.D., Kinesiology and Community Health
Emerson Sebastiao, Ph.D., Kinesiology and Community Health
Michelle Haselhorst, McKinley Health Center
Jared Willard, MD, Christie Clinic
Annie Tigranyan (Carle Illinois College of Medicine Student Representative)