Combat Room Policies
The combat room is scheduled for club sports practices, group fitness classes, student organizations, and other rental groups. Room is available for drop-in use when not reserved. Refer to the calendar placed outside the room and member services for reservation details.
- During any activity with the potential to involve contact, individuals should place the highest priority on safety for themselves and others and do so with the proper training and instruction. Campus Recreation sponsored martial arts club sports can provide proper training and instruction.
- For safety and injury prevention, Campus Recreation requires the use of wrap or gloves when using speed bags.
- The use of protective equipment such as head protection, mouthpiece, cup (men), chest protector (women) is also strongly recommended.
- Hand wrap and gloves are required when using the heavy bags. These are available for purchase and check-out at Member Services.
- Sparring that involves blows to the head is strictly prohibited unless prior approval is received by Campus Recreation.
- Swords, nun-chucks and similar martial art weapons are prohibited unless prior approval is received by Campus Recreation.
- Organized matches are prohibited.
- Patrons are required to clean equipment before and immediately after use. Antibacterial cleaning wipes or disinfectant spray are provided to clean/disinfect equipment before/after use.
- For health and safety reasons a shirt is required that covers the entire torso, including the stomach, back, rib cage, and chest.
- Clothing deemed potentially damaging to the equipment, mat, mirrors, and floor is prohibited, as determined by the Campus Recreation staff.
- No jewelry including watches is allowed.
- No spitting.
- Copyrighted movies and instructional videos are prohibited.
- Participation in combat-type activity is strongly discouraged by Campus Recreation.
- Use of facilities for paid instruction or coaching is prohibited.
Use of the mat requires adherence to the following rules:
- No street shoes. Must use clean wrestling shoes or no footwear.
- Individuals with skin infections, open lesions, or open cuts are not allowed on the mat.
- If there is blood on the mat, the activity must stop immediately. Notify a Campus Recreation staff member for proper clean-up.
- Limit of 4 pairs “in competition” on a mat at a time. Must stay in the blue matted area.