Intramural activities provide opportunities for the campus community to participate in scheduled sports and events at all levels, in a fun and safe environment. There are intramural activities offered to fit everyone’s needs and abilities. Men’s, women’s, and co-rec, leagues are available. Organize your own team with friends, floormates, clubs, or even strangers. If you don’t have a team, sign up as a free agent and we will help you find one.
Intramurals and Club Sports: What's the Difference?
The primary focus of intramural activities is short-term participation with and against other individuals or teams of students from UIUC. Club Sports are student-run and usually meet and practice over the course of the entire academic year. Some Club Sports compete at a high level and are members of conferences or leagues, with opportunities to travel, while others are focused on skill development and progression.
|Competition||As laid-back or competitive as you make it!||Compete at a higher level or focus on skill development.|
|Teams||Create a team with friends or be matched with a team.||Join an existing sports team or start your own.|
|Opponents||Teams of fellow Illini.||Clubs from other universities.|
|Time||Short-term (leagues, tournaments, and special events)||Long-term (meet and practice for the entire academic year)|
|Travel||All games are on campus!||Possible travel to compete!|
|Management||Campus Rec staff||Led by elected student officials|
Community members who have a UIUC i-card, an Intramural Membership, Campus Rec Membership, and are…
- Full-Time Illinois Students
- Part-Time Illinois Students
- Illinois Affiliates
In an effort to maintain a level of playing field, there are some restrictions for these groups:
- Sport Club Athletes: 2 club players are limited to a team for the same sport
- Varsity Athletes: athletes are only allowed to participate in the offseason of their sport. Athletes must take a gap year to be eligible to play in their sport as well. This applies to all scholarship players, walk-ons, and squad members.
- Professional Athletes: athletes need two full calendar years to have passed since they have been released or retired.
Guest pass holders cannot participate in Intramural Activities.
Become an Intramural Sports Official
- Part-time employment with a paid training program, promotional opportunities, and flexible work hours
- Officiate multiple sports in a fun, fast-paced atmosphere