What is Exercise is Medicine on Campus?
EIM, a global health initiative managed by the American College of Sports Medicine, is committed to the belief that physical activity is integral in the prevention and treatments of diseases and should be regularly assessed and “treated” as part of all healthcare. Exercise is Medicine® on Campus (EIM-OC) is a program calling upon universities and colleges to engage in the promotion of physical activity as a vital sign of health. EIM-OC encourages faculty, staff and students to work together toward improving the health and well-being of the campus community by:
- Making movement a part of the daily campus culture
- Assessing physical activity at every student health visit
- Providing students the tools necessary to strengthen healthy physical activity habits that can last a lifetime
- Connecting university health care providers with university health fitness specialists to provide a referral system for exercise prescription.
In the Spring of 2017 EIM-OC UIUC was founded and received recognition as an official committee by the American College of Sports Medicine. The committee has members representing students, staff, faculty and the community. The committee consists of members from the following areas; Kinesiology and Community Health, Campus Recreation, McKinley Health, Christie Clinic and the Kinesiology Students Association (RSO). Dr Nicholas Burd is the committee chair, an active member of the ACSM, and an Assistant Professor in KCH. Current committee members include; Dr Scott Paluska (Christie Clinic), Alana Harris (Campus Recreation), Bethni Gill (McKinley Health), graduate student representation and undergraduate representation from Kinesiology Students Association (KSA). If you are interested in getting involved or attending a meeting please contact Alana Harris, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Exercise is Medicine – On Campus
- Kinesiology & Community Health
- McKinley Health Center
Are you interested in participating in an EIM-OC sponsored event?
View our online calendar.