Games will be played under USA Volleyball Outdoor Volleyball Rules with the following modifications. In the case of a dispute, the full rules are available online at http://www.volleyball.org/rules/95ruleso_mini.html
- There will not be any intramural officials, games will be self-officiated and played on the honor system.
- An intramural staff member will be on duty to check in players and record game results.
- If a in/out or net dispute occurs and it cannot be resolved amicably, replay the point.
- The boundary lines of the court are considered INBOUNDS. If it hits the line it’s in.
- The IM Jersey policy is NOT in effect.
- Billed hats, knotted bandanas, or other headwear with a hard, unyielding, area will not be permitted.
- Teams are composed of six players.
- Four players are required to start a game.
- Team rosters are limited to 20 players.
- See Co-Rec Modifications for Co-rec limitations.
- Matches will consist of a best of 3 game series.
- The first two games will be played to 21 using rally scoring.
- If a third match is required, it will be played to 15 using rally scoring.
Start of Game
- Game will begin with the home team having the serve and away team with the choice of court side.
- For the second game, teams will switch sides and the away team start with the serve.
- In the case of a third set, the team that won their set by more points will get the serve and the other team will have choice of side.
- In the 3rd set, teams are required to switch sides after one team has scored 8 points.
- At the time of service all players must be inside the boundaries of the court.
- Players must follow proper rotations.
- Players must maintain the same service order throughout the match.
- If a player is substituted for, he/she must return to the same spot in the service order.
- Other than the previous regulation, player substitutions are unlimited.
- A legal serve will take place from behind the team’s end line anywhere inside the sidelines.
- Serving player must remain behind the end line until the ball has been served. If player serves in the air, he/she can land on or inside the line.
- A legal serve can touch the net on the way over.
Play at Net
- Ball must cross over net in-bounds.
- Player contact with the net is prohibited.
- In blocking, a player may touch the ball beyond the net provided that he/she does not interfere with opponent’s play.
- A player may cross under the net provided it does not interfere with opponent’s play.
- Teams are limited to 3 men and 3 women on the court at one time.
- At least 1 man and 1 woman are required to start a game.
- Men and women do not need to alternate positions in the rotation.
- There are no restrictions or rules concerning whether men or women can contact the ball on a particular volley