Learn how to scuba dive! Instruction includes details about gear and equipment, water entries, surface dives, use of mask, fins, and snorkel, the science of scuba diving, and in-the-pool training with tanks. This class covers two of the three phases required to receive your PADI Open Water Diver certification. The first phase covered is the e-Learning (book learning) phase, and the second phase is the pool (confined water) phase. The remaining phase is the Open Water dives (checkout dives) that will be conducted through Midwest Scuba Center at a later date after the first two phases are completed.
Fall 2017 Sessions
- Members: $295
- Non-members: $295
The following are dates for each clinic session. Clinics run each Monday and Wednesday from 5-7 pm for two weeks after the start date.
- Session 1: Sept. 18-27
- Session 2: Oct. 9-18
- Session 3: Oct. 30-Nov. 8
Please Note: A swim test is required by all participants. The swim test will be held the same week as the information meeting for each session.
The fee includes instruction, all necessary equipment, dive log book, and use of the pool for instruction.
There is also a $179.00 fee paid directly to PADI for the e-learning portion of the clinic. The procedures of how to sign-up for the e-learning portion will be given during the informational meeting.
Any questions about equipment needs, classroom materials, or the clinic content should be directed to the instructor by calling (217) 352-3118 or emailing Alex Gentner at email@example.com. You can also visit the Midwest Scuba Center website for more information about scuba diving. at the end of to look online at my website for more information as well.
- Step 1: Sign-up for one of the scuba clinic information meetings listed below. Attendance at a scuba clinic information meeting is required for all participants enrolling in a scuba clinic prior to the start of a session.
- Step 2: Officially register for a scuba clinic session by stopping by the adventure center in the ARC during the hours of 4-8 pm (Monday-Friday) and 3-7 pm (Saturday/Sunday).
- Step 3: Register for the PADI eLearning portion of the clinic. Instructions will be provided by the course instructor.
The following are the steps to signup for e-Learning.
- Click the link above to go to the PADI e-Learning sign-up page.
- Find the link to signup for the Open Water Divers Course. Select one of the following digital courses: e-Learning or “Touch” (“Touch” version is the offline version for download onto a tablet and does not work well with regular computers or laptops.)
- Next, there will be a map, similar to google maps. Find Midwest Scuba Center in Urbana Illinois area code 61802. It is important to select the correct shop.
- Create your profile with PADI.
- Pay for the e-Learning: $179.00
Once these steps are completed you should receive a conformation email and can begin the online learning process.
Phase 1: Instructional Phase (e-Learning)
- Part 1: Attend the informational meeting.
- Part 2: Complete required swim test.
- Part 3: Sign-up for e-Learning using the instructions above or the instructions provided by the instructor at the informational meeting.
After completing everything in phase 1, phase 2 begins.
Phase 2: Confined Water (in water activities)
- This is the heart of the Open Water divers course.
- During this phase all the safety skills and initial experience of scuba diving are completed in order to move onto the open water dives.
Phase 3: Open Water (checkout dives)
- This is the last step to be certified as a PADI Open Water Scuba Diver. (Phases 1 and 2 must be completed to proceed).
- Contact Midwest Scuba Center to sign-up for the open water dives.
- The open water dives consist of completing four dives over the course of two days.