Scuba Clinics @ ARC
Learn how to scuba dive! Instruction includes details about gear and equipment, water entries, surface dives, use of mask, fins, and snorkel, the science of scuba diving, and in-the-pool training with tanks.
This class covers all three phases required to receive your PADI Open Water Diver certification. The first phase covered is the e-Learning (book learning) phase, and the second phase is the pool (confined water) phase. The remaining phase is the Open Water dives (checkout dives) that will be conducted through Midwest Scuba Center at a later date after the first two phases are completed.
ARC Indoor Pool and Wet Classroom
- Members: $640
- Non-members: $695
- *You will need to purchase your own mask, fins, and snorkel in addition to the above price.
- PADI online e-learning course
- Hands-on instruction at ARC indoor pool
- All necessary equipment (except mask, fins, and snorkel)
- Dive logbook
- Open water dives
Registration Form:Registration (pdf)
Three Ways to Register:
- Drop Off:
Register in person at ARC or CRCE Member Services when facilities are open for operation. Please refer to the facilities schedule for hours of operation.
- By Mail:
Mail to: Scuba Registration, 201 E. Peabody Drive, Champaign, IL 61820.
Payment by credit card must be included. Mail-in registrations are handled in order of postmark date received. Refunds (minus $5 handling fee) are given before the first day of class. To receive the member rate for child/youth lessons, the parent or guardian responsible must be a Campus Recreation member.
- By Fax:
Register by fax to (217) 244-3319. Faxes will be processed by date and time received. Confirmation of fax transmission will be made by phone and/or email.***Per University policy, email registration WILL NOT be accepted.
Phase 1: Instructional Phase
- Part 1: Attend the informational meeting.
- Part 2: Complete required swim test.
- Part 3: Sign-up for e-Learning using the instructions above or the instructions provided by the instructor at the informational meeting.
After completing everything in phase 1, phase 2 begins.
Phase 2: Confined Water
(in water activities)
- This is the heart of the Open Water divers course.
- During this phase, all the safety skills and initial experience of scuba diving are completed in order to move onto the open water dives.
Phase 3: Open Water
- This is the last step to be certified as a PADI Open Water Scuba Diver. (Phases 1 and 2 must be completed to proceed).
- Contact Midwest Scuba Center to sign-up for the open water dives.
- The open water dives consist of completing four dives over the course of two days.