Learn how to scuba dive! Instruction includes details about gear and equipment, water entries, surface dives, use of mask, fins, and snorkel, the science of scuba diving, and in-the-pool training with tanks.
This class covers one of the three phases required to receive your Open Water Diver certification, which never expires and is valid worldwide. The first phase is the e-Learning (book learning) phase, and the second phase is the pool (confined water) phase. The remaining phase is the Open Water dives (checkout dives) that will be conducted through Midwest Scuba Center at a later date after the first two phases are completed.
While we will accept registration forms for Spring and Summer courses, due to COVID-19 mitigations we are unsure what the status of these courses will be. Payment will not be charged until the status of each course has been confirmed.
Phase 1: Instructional Phase
- Informational meeting where the instructor will provide an overview of the course and allow participants to ask questions.
- Complete forms, including a release of liability (separate form for minors) and a medical release form. Feel free to print the medical form before class. Participants who have or have had certain medical conditions will need to have the medical release form signed by a physician before being allowed to enter the water.
- Schedule an appointment with Midwest Scuba Center to sign up for the online course.
Phase 2: Confined Water
- Swim test
- Learn how to set up, clean, and care for your dive equipment, including sanitizing for COVID-19 and other pathogens
- SCUBA – this is the heart of the course! You will be in the water learning the essential skills used when scuba diving.
Phase 3: Open Water
- Phase 1 and 2 must be complete to proceed to Phase 3
- Four dives over the course of two days
- Contact Midwest Scuba Center to sign up for the open water dives
In Partnership With
Registration will open in the winter. All clinics will be held at the ARC Indoor Pool from 5:30-8:30pm. When you arrive at the ARC for the clinic, meet the instructor at the entrance to the Indoor Pool.
1/31, 2/7, 2/9, 2/10, 2/16
2/21, 2/28, 3/2, 3/3, 3/7
4/4, 4/11, 4/13, 4/14, 4/18
- Login to the Active Illini web portal
- Login instructions can be found on the Active Illini information page
- Click the button on the top left corner of the screen to expand the menu
- Click on “Aquatics” and then “Aquatics Programs”
- Select the clinic that you are interested in registering for
- Click the “Register” button for the instance of the clinic you want to join
- Follow the prompts until you are registered
- $295 for members and nonmembers*
- *Cost does not include mask, fins and snorkel. Participants are encouraged to purchase their own because it offers a better fit and more comfortable experience, however, rentals are also available for the course.
- *Additional costs include online learning materials and costs associated with logistics and scheduling of open water dives
Included in Registration
- Confined water instruction & practice at ARC indoor pool
- Use of all necessary equipment (except mask, fins, and snorkel)
- Dive logbook