Learn how to scuba dive! Instruction includes details about gear and equipment, water entries, surface dives, use of mask, fins, and snorkel, the science of scuba diving, and in-the-pool training with tanks.
This class covers two of the three phases required to receive your PADI Open Water Diver certification. The first phase covered is the e-Learning (book learning) phase, and the second phase is the pool (confined water) phase. The remaining phase is the Open Water dives (checkout dives) that will be conducted through Midwest Scuba Center at a later date after the first two phases are completed.
- Members: $295
- Non-members: $295
- Additionally, there is also a $179.00 fee paid directly to PADI for the e-learning portion of the clinic.
- Instruction, all necessary equipment, dive log book, and use of the pool for instruction.
- Step 1: Sign-up online for one of the scuba clinic information meetings listed below. Attendance at a scuba clinic information meeting is required for all participants enrolling in a scuba clinic prior to the start of a session. See above information meeting dates.
May 15*, May 20, May 22, May 23
June 24*, June 26, July 1, July 3
July 17*, July 22, July 24, July 29
Time: 5:30-8:30 pm.
*Information meeting – class will encompass an informational meeting, swim test, and begin class one in the ARC Wet Classroom/Indoor Pool.
*Required swimming test will be conducted in the first part of the class. No extra charge for swimming test; may pay for class after the test.
- Step 2: Officially register for a scuba clinic session by stopping by the adventure center in the ARC during the hours of 4-8 pm (Monday-Friday) and 3-7 pm (Saturday/Sunday).
- Step 3: Register for the PADI eLearning portion of the clinic. Instructions will be provided by the course instructor.
The following are the steps to signup for e-Learning.
- Click the link above to go to the PADI e-Learning sign-up page.
- Find the link to signup for the Open Water Divers Course. Select one of the following digital courses: e-Learning or “Touch” (“Touch” version is the offline version for download onto a tablet and does not work well with regular computers or laptops.)
- Next, there will be a map, similar to google maps. Find Midwest Scuba Center in Urbana Illinois area code 61802. It is important to select the correct shop.
- Create your profile with PADI.
- Pay for the e-Learning: $179.00
- Once these steps are completed you should receive a confirmation email and can begin the online learning process.
Phase 1: Instructional Phase
- Part 1: Attend the informational meeting.
- Part 2: Complete required swim test.
- Part 3: Sign-up for e-Learning using the instructions above or the instructions provided by the instructor at the informational meeting.
After completing everything in phase 1, phase 2 begins.
Phase 2: Confined Water
(in water activities)
- This is the heart of the Open Water divers course.
- During this phase, all the safety skills and initial experience of scuba diving are completed in order to move onto the open water dives.
Phase 3: Open Water
- This is the last step to be certified as a PADI Open Water Scuba Diver. (Phases 1 and 2 must be completed to proceed).
- Contact Midwest Scuba Center to sign-up for the open water dives.
- The open water dives consist of completing four dives over the course of two days.