Refer to the list of required skills for each class.
- Children ages 6 months-3 years
- Parent participation required
- Become comfortable in the water, learn basic swimming skills, and learn water safety
- Designed to lay foundation for swimming development
- Provides parents information and techniques to orient their children to the water
- Not intended to teach children to swim or survive in the water on their own
- Levels include: Preschool, Level 1, Level 2, Level 3, and Level 4
- For children at the beginning levels of Preschool to Level 3
- Parents must stay on the pool deck, but do not participate
- Learn basic swimming skills and strokes
- Preschool will be tested and divided on the first day of lessons
Youth Beginner & Advanced
- Levels include: Preschool, Level 1, Level 2, Level 3, Level 4, Level 5, and Level 6
Youth Swim Conditioning
- For children who have completed level 6 and above
- Designed for participants interested in swimming for fitness and/or competition
- Participants must be able to swim 8 pool lengths (200 yards) continuously
- Stroke refinement, endurance, and competitive techniques are taught in a small group environment
- Levels include: Adult Beginner 1, Adult Beginner 2, and Adult Swim for Fitness
Private Swim Lessons
- One-on-one instruction for ages 5-adult.
- CRCE is recommended for beginners and the ARC is recommended for advanced swimmers
Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, we have operated under the latest guidance set forth by the University of Illinois, public health authorities (IDPH, CUPHD, CDC), and the American Red Cross. Safety of our participants and staff has always been, and will remain our top priority through these challenging times. Some of the current initiatives of our Learn-to-Swim operation include:
- Organized a 15+ minute gap between the end of one session and the beginning of the next to reduce patron interaction in passing and in our locker room spaces
- Any toys or equipment will be provided at a 1:1 ratio per participant
- When the state of Illinois entered Phase 5 on June 11, our classes no longer had reduced capacity but all participants, parents, and guardians are still subject to daily health screening or must provide authorized campus building access before being allowed into the facility
- In accordance with campus guidelines, instructors, participants, parents and guardians are no longer required to wear a face covering if fully vaccinated. Anyone not fully vaccinated is asked to continue wearing a face covering. Participants may remove any face covering before getting in the pool.
- Our patio furniture will be organized in ways that still allow for social distancing
- Locker rooms are sanitized hourly by facilities staff; touch points within the pool deck area are sanitized between sessions
- Login to the Active Illini web portal
- Login instructions can be found on the Active Illini information page
- Click the button on the top left corner of the screen to expand the menu
- Click on “Aquatics” and then “Aquatics Programs”
- Select the Learn to Swim level that you are interested in registering for
- Click the “Register” button for the instance of the lesson(s) you want to join
- Follow the prompts until you are registered
Dates and Payment
- Summer registration has closed
- Fall registration will open on August 17 for members and August 24 for non-members
- Cost for Learn to Swim varies by level and membership
- For lesson dates, descriptions, and costs, login to Active Illini
- Payment for Learn to Swim is part of the registration process.
Cancellation and Refund Policy
Refunds are available prior to the first day of lessons. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to start the refund process for you. Please expect a 2-4 week wait for the refund to your account.
After the first day of lessons, refunds will be given due to medical reasons only. Please provide a doctor’s note and brief explanation; we will be happy to prorate your purchase and hope you will join us again the following semester.
There are no make-up classes for missed lessons. If it is necessary to cancel due to a pool malfunction or weather, affected participants will be notified by email and make-ups will be communicated.