During open recreation hours, the system governing challenge for full court basketball play begins automatically when the basketball court becomes occupied by two teams of five participants present and ready for play (gym shoes on) who have made the challenge.
- To challenge, a waiting individual must make it verbally known to the teams playing that the challenge has been issued. That person must remain courtside and ready to play when the ongoing game ends.
- If less than five are waiting to play, members from the losing team or from another court’s losing team or those waiting, may play.
- When the challenge system is in effect and a participating team’s number of players drops below five, the remaining members may continue to play to the end of the game with or without adding members to their team.
Full-Court vs. Half-Court Games
- Full-court games take priority at all times, however, the ongoing half-court game must be allowed to finish.
- Half-court games may be played when an open court is available.
Challenge Court Game Rules
- Full court games are to be played to 11 baskets, win by 1 basket.
- Half court games are to be played to 15 baskets, win by 2 baskets. Teams have the option to play on an alternating ball or make-it/take-it basis.
The designated courts listed below give priority to the listed participants. The courts are labeled on the backboard at each facility.
- Wheelchair Basketball Priority: Gym 4/Court 3 when there is an event in Gym 1.
- Women’s Basketball Priority: Gym 3/Court 3 when there is not a scheduled event
- Basketball Priority: Gym 4/Courts 1 & 2 and Gym 2/Court 3 when there is not a scheduled event
Volleyball and Badminton Courts
- Three (3) volleyball courts are set-up at all times in ARC Gym 2. These courts can be reserved through the Campus Recreation reservation line.
- Four (4) badminton courts are set-up at all times in ARC Gym 3. These courts can be reserved through the Campus Recreation reservation line.
- Volleyball and badminton players have priority on these courts, unless gyms are reserved for a special event. In these situations, Campus Recreation will make all attempts to make alternative playing areas available.