Newsletter – September 2017
Please be advised of Campus Recreation’s Fall Semester Facility Hours that are currently in effect.
Limited Parking, Increased Traffic, Limited Gym Usage
Please be advised of limited parking, increased traffic, and limited gym usage on the following dates:
- Engineering Career Fair: Sept. 12-13; 11a-6p; ARC: Gym 1, Gym 2, MP6, MP7, Winter Garden
- Special Olympics: Sept 16; ODC: F12-15
- Tri the Illini (Triathlon): Sept 17; 6a-2p – Lot E24 closed
- Business Career Fair: Sept. 19-20; 11a-7p; ARC: Gym 1, MP1, Winter Garden
- IFC Youth Soccer Tournament: Sept 22 – 24; Complex & ODC: all play fields
- Engineering EXPO Career Fair: Sept 25 – 26; 9a-6p both days; ARC: Gym 1, MP1, MP7, Winter Garden
- Lot E24 parking turned over to Athletics for football game parking starting at 3 p.m.; Sept. 29
- DIA Orange & Blue Swim Meet: Sept 30; 9am-1pm; ARC: Indoor Pool North lanes closed; South lanes will be available for lap swimming
New or Renewing Members
New or Renewing Members may now present their stapled membership receipt to Sherry Duncan in the Administrative Office Suite of the ARC Monday-Friday 9 am-11 am or 1 pm-4:30 pm to receive two complimentary guest passes and two complimentary skate passes. Receipts must be current within the current membership period. One set per member.
Memberships are on sale now. Sign up at Member Services at ARC or CRCE.
You are invited to join us Friday, Sept. 15 from 7:30-9:30 pm at the Ice Arena for a FREE event celebrating the Arena’s Grand Reopening. Hear remarks from Campus Recreation Director, Marcus Jackson, enjoy FREE skating, food, prizes and more! Children, family, and friends are all invited. The more the merrier.
Get your teams together for Fall Intramurals! Don’t miss out because they fill up quick! Registration for Fall Session I is currently open and closes September 14 at Noon.
Learn to Swim Fall Registration
Register for our Fall Learn to Swim classes so you can enjoy the many benefits swimming does for your body and mind! Registration will close September 26 or until spots are filled.
Sessions will be held September 30 – December 2. For more information, head to our website.
Learn to Skate Fall Registration
Registration for Fall 2017 Learn to Skate is still open for members and non-members. Classes are available for all ages and skill levels, while our skating instructors will help all participants develop skills in a safe and fun environment on the ice.
There’s no better way to start off Fall semester than with an ARC Instructional Cooking Class. These classes provide a hands-on experience and tastings of each recipe with instruction from the ARC Instructional Kitchen staff.
- Sushi Making for Beginners – Sept. 12 & Oct. 11
- Mexican Cuisine – Sept. 27
- A Healthy Take on Your Tailgate – Oct. 4
- Thai Cuisine – Oct. 17
- Food Sustainability – Oct. 18
- Sushi Making 2.0 – Oct. 24 & Nov. 8
- Indian Cuisine – Nov. 1
- Desserts & Baking – Nov. 15
Our staff of dietetic, food science and human nutrition students along with the guidance of two Registered Dietitians will help to inform and develop ways to help patrons reach their wellness goals. Learn about what it means to eat healthy and balanced WITHOUT being on a diet. Make your appointment today! Appointments are 45-minutes in length held at the ARC Instructional Kitchen and can be scheduled at 5:30pm or 6:30pm each of these dates.
- Sept. 14
- Sept. 28
- Oct. 12
- Oct. 26
- Nov. 9
Wellness on Wheels is a program that is designed to make Campus Recreation, Student Wellness accessible to all students. In a partnership between Campus Recreation and McKinley Health, and made possible through sponsorship by Slow Ride: Pedal Tours, Champaign we will travel across campus bringing wellness programming and education to University of Illinois Students.
Meet in front of ARC
Time: 12 – 3pm
- September 27 – Stress Management
- October 18 – Sexual Health/Sexual Integrity
- April 19 – Campus Safety
- April 26 – Nutrition
Fall Scuba Diving Class registration is around the corner! Learn all about the gear, equipment, water entries, surface dives and more. Don’t miss out on this opportunity to impress your friends and family on your next ocean vacation destination!
Clinics run each Monday and Wednesday from 5-7 p.m. for two weeks after the start date.
- Session 1: Sept. 18-27
- Session 2: Oct. 9-18
Climbing Wall/Adventure Center Hours
- Monday-Friday: 3-9 pm
- Saturday & Sunday: 3-7 pm
Be sure to attend the following Fall Climbing Clinics we have to offer! Each class will meet at the Climbing Wall.
- Tuesdays 9-11 pm
- September 19, 26, October 3, 10, 17, 24, November 7, 14, 28
- Mondays 9-11 pm
- September 18, October 9, 23, November 6, 27
- Saturdays 10am-Noon
- September 16, October 21, December 2
- Mondays 9-11 pm
- October 2, November 13, December 4
Fall Lease Promotion Party
Campus Rec will host their annual “Lease Promotion Party” on Thursday, September 21 from 4-7pm in the ARC Winter Garden! Come check out what leasing companies from the Champaign-Urbana area have to offer before signing your next lease. Over 12 companies and property managers will be in attendance with tons of giveaways and information all for you!
Friday Night Lights is back for the semester! Join us on Oct. 13 in ARC Gym 4 for Cricket from 7-9 p.m. and Nov. 10 in the CRCE Mac Gym for Floor Hockey from 7-9 p.m. Food will be provided by Moe’s Southwest Grill on the Nov. 10 date. Bring your friends for FREE play, fun, and competition!