Newsletter – October 2017
ARC Indoor Pool
- Oct. 13 & 27: DIA Swim Meet, early morning and lunch lap swim will be OPEN, Pool will CLOSE after 2 p.m. for the remainder of the day.
- Nov. 4: Uni High Swim Meet, South end will remain open for swim, Well and North Lanes will NOT be available all day, expect increased traffic in parking lot and building.
Outdoor Pool & Balcony Closure
Please be advised that Campus Recreation’s outside pool balcony at the ARC will close for the season on Wednesday, November 1 and will reopen in the Spring.
*As a reminder: ARC’s outdoor pool is closed for the season and will reopen in the Spring.
Complex Fields and Outdoor Center Playfields Closures
Campus Recreation’s Complex Fields will close for the season on Sunday, October 29. The Outdoor Center turf fields will remain open, weather permitting and with limited equipment, until Friday, November 17. Intramural Sports will have programming on the turf fields, Sunday – Thursday beginning Sunday, October 1-November 1, from 6 pm-Close. For more information, please visit our website.
Limited Parking, Increased Traffic, Limited Gym Usage
Please be advised of limited parking, increased traffic, and limited gym usage on the following dates:
- Oct. 5-6: ACES Career Fair, ARC Gym 1, Gym 2, MP1, MP2 and Winter Garden, 10am-6pm both days
- Oct. 28: President House Tailgate, ARC Gym 3 and MP5, All Day
- Oct. 28: Late Night Dance, CRCE facility will close at 9pm in preparation for event, 9pm-2am
- Nov. 11: Dad’s Day Tailgate, ARC Gym 1, All Day
- Nov. 11: President House Tailgate, MP6 and MP5, All Day
- Dec. 8-10: Justin Spring Gymnastics Invitational, Gym 1, MP1 and MP2, 9am-10pm each day
- Dec. 13: Business 101 Poster Presentation, ARC Gym 1, MP1 and Auditorium, 2-7pm
Diapers (both children and adult) are often one of the most in-demand items during times of crisis. Campus Recreation is currently collecting diapers of ALL sizes and distributing supplies to hurricane-impacted communities.
Diapers can be dropped off at the Ice Arena and ARC/CRCE Member Services desk.
Thank you for your generous donations
Still need a membership? We got you covered! Sign up for your Fall Mid-Semester Membership beginning Sunday, October 15. For more information, visit our Member Services web page.
The Ice Arena invites you to “Spooky Skate” on Sunday, October 29 from 1:30 – 4 p.m. Be sure to wear a costume and receive a FREE skate rental! You won’t want to miss out on this spook-tacular event!
*Costumes must be deemed appropriate and obey Campus Recreation policy.
Group Fitness Events
- Attention current Group Fitness pass holders! Bring your buddy to any group fitness class October 23-29 for FREE! For classes that require reservations, Group Fitness pass holders must call ahead to reserve a space for themselves and their buddy.
- Interested in becoming a Group Fitness pass holder? Have no fear, Mid-Semester Passes are here! Passes will be available for purchase on Monday, October 23. Visit our web site for more information.
For more information about Group Fitness, class descriptions and schedules, check out our web site.
Join us on Oct. 13 in ARC Gym 4 for Cricket from 7-9 p.m. and Nov. 10 in the CRCE Mac Gym for Floor Hockey from 7-9 p.m. Food will be provided by Moe’s Southwest Grill on Nov. 10. Bring your friends for FREE play, fun and competition!
Make your mid-week a little better by signing up for an Instructional Kitchen Class! These classes provide a hands-on experience and tastings of each recipe with instruction from the ARC Instructional Kitchen staff.
- Sushi Making for Beginners – Oct. 11
- Thai Cuisine – Oct. 17
- Food Sustainability – Oct. 18
- Sushi Making 2.0 – Oct. 24 & Nov. 8
- Indian Cuisine – Nov. 1
- Desserts & Baking – Nov. 15
Our staff of dietetic, food science and human nutrition students along with the guidance of two Registered Dietitians will help to inform and develop ways to help patrons reach their wellness goals. Learn about what it means to eat healthy and balanced WITHOUT being on a diet. Make your appointment today! Appointments are 45-minutes in length held at the ARC Instructional Kitchen and can be scheduled at 5:30pm or 6:30pm each of these dates.
- Oct. 12
- Oct. 26
- Nov. 9
Wellness on Wheels is a program that is designed to make Campus Recreation, Student Wellness accessible to all students. In a partnership between Campus Recreation and McKinley Health, and made possible through sponsorship by Slow Ride: Pedal Tours, Champaign we will travel across campus bringing wellness programming and education to University of Illinois Students.
Meet in front of ARC
Time: 12 – 3pm
- October 18 – Sexual Health/Sexual Integrity
- April 19 – Campus Safety
- April 26 – Nutrition
Interested in racquetball or wanting to improve your game? You’re in luck as we just began our FREE racquetball clinics! The clinics will take place on 10/18, 10/25, 11/1 and 11/8 at ARC racquetball courts 1 & 2 from 7- 8:30 p.m. Learn from AmPro Certified instructors, providing basic and advanced techniques and strategy. No experience necessary!
Every day, approximately 36,000 units of blood cells are needed in the U.S. There are more than 40,000 students at ILLINOIS and we need you to help bring hope to the millions of people in need of blood. Join us Nov. 7 from 9:30a-4p i n ARC Gym 2 to give blood. Register to donate and join a Club Sports Donation Team! Contact Alana (email@example.com) if you have any questions.
Climbing Wall/Adventure Center Hours
- Monday-Friday: 3-9 pm
- Saturday & Sunday: 3-7 pm
Be sure to attend the following Fall Climbing Clinics we have to offer! Each class will meet at the Climbing Wall.
- Tuesdays 9-11 pm
- October 3, 10, 17, 24, November 7, 14, 28
- Mondays 9-11 pm
- October 9, 23, November 6, 27
- Saturdays 10am-Noon
- October 21, December 2
- Mondays 9-11 pm
- October 2, November 13, December 4
Fall Scuba Diving Clinic
There is one more Scuba Diving Class session left for you to participate in! Learn all about the gear, equipment, water entries, surface dives and more. Don’t miss out on this opportunity to impress your friends and family on your next ocean vacation destination!
Clinics run each Monday and Wednesday from 5-7 p.m. for two weeks after the start date.
- Session 3: Oct. 30-Nov. 8
Fall 2 Intramural League Registrations will be here before you know it! Register as an entire team or as an individual for one of the following activities:
*Registration will run 10/30-11/2
- Indoor Soccer
- Extreme Dodgeball
For more information about Campus Recreation Intramural Activities please visit our web site.