It is our mission to ensure that the Illinois community has access to nutritious food and key necessities in a welcoming and educational space. We collect demographic information and a variety of other data to improve processes and ensure that it is equitable, inclusive and accessible to meet the needs of the diverse Illinois student population.
The Food Assistance & Well-Being Program is a shopping style pantry. Food is set up on shelves by food groups. Shoppers walk through the space and select food according to pantry guidelines. This model allows shoppers to handle food, choose items, and look at the labels as if they were shopping in a store. Student volunteers are available to answer questions and provide resources. The Food Assistance & Well-Being Program is located in the rear of the ARC Instructional Kitchen (entrance on the concourse level, next to the indoor climbing wall).
The program is focused on the development of students in a supportive and inclusive space. It is staffed by student volunteers from Food Science Human Nutrition who provide food support while developing their community building skills. We also work closely with faculty to provide educational resources to pantry shoppers.
- Face masks are required for patrons and volunteers
- Tables, chairs, and frequently touched items are wiped down before and after distribution hours
- Patrons are required to maintain six feet distance from other patrons.
- Volunteers exhibiting symptoms including but not limited to fever, cough, and shortness of breath are not allowed to work.
- Volunteers are required to be COVID-19 tested per University Guidelines.
All hours of operation, including distribution hours for the Food Assistance and Well-Being program can be found on the Hours of Operation page.
How Your Donation Helps
- $12/month supports one student food pick-up per month
- $25 donation provides a grocery pick-up for 2 students
- $50 donation provides a grocery pick-up for 4 students
- $100 donation provides a grocery pick-up for 8 students
- $250 donation helps feed 25 students for a week
- $500 donation helps feed 50 students for a week
Interested in helping to support the program? Fill out the Food Assistance & Well-Being Program Volunteer Interest Form.