Food Assistance & Well-Being Program
OPENING IN FALL 2020
It is our mission to ensure that the entire Illinois community has access to nutritious food and key necessities in a welcoming and educational space. We collect demographic information and a variety of other data to improve processes and ensure that it is equitable, inclusive and accessible to meet the needs of the diverse student population at Illinois.
Our pantry is focused on the development of students in a supportive and inclusive space. The ARC Student Food Pantry is staffed by student volunteers from Food Science Human Nutrition and we work closely with faculty to provide educational resources to pantry shoppers while developing our student volunteers to provide food support and community building skills.
The ARC Student Food Pantry is a shopping style pantry. Food is set up on shelves by food groups. Shoppers walk through the space and take food off shelves according to pantry guidelines. This model allows shoppers to handle food, choose items that they will eat and enjoy, and look at the labels just as if they were shopping in a store. Food Science and Human Nutrition Students will be available to answer shopper questions and to provide resources to prepare the food. The ARC Food Pantry is located in the rear of the ARC Instructional Kitchen (beside the indoor climbing wall).
- Until Phase 5 of the Illinois reopening plan is implemented, patrons and volunteers will be required to wear face masks while in the pantry space.
- After grocery pickup, non-perishable items will be sanitized with a 1:9 bleach solution to remove any infectious particles. Student Wellness staff will wipe down any tables and chairs with bleach solution before and after the shifts begin. While patrons pack each bag, they will have individual single use gloves, changed after each bag is packed to minimize risk.
- Volunteers will not be allowed to attend shifts if exhibiting any symptoms including but not limited to fever, cough, and shortness of breath.
- Patrons will enter the kitchen space one at a time wearing a mask. Patrons will complete printed paper order forms based on the weekly offerings and a bag with those items will be placed on the island to allow for social distancing.
Tuesday, 1-4 p.m.
Saturday, 2-5 p.m.
- More Information about Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP): https://www.dhs.state.il.us/page.aspx?item=30357
- More Information about Women, Infants and Children (WIC): https://www.dhs.state.il.us/page.aspx?item=30513
- Eastern Illinois Foodbank Food Finder: https://www.eifoodbank.org/help/food-finder.html
- School & Collegiate Food Pantries: https://www.eifoodbank.org/help/school-collegiate-food-pantries.html
- Eastern Illinois Food Mobile Schedule https://www.eifoodbank.org/help/mobile.html
- Budget Friendly Recipes:
- Budget Bytes https://www.budgetbytes.com/
- Taste of Home: https://www.tasteofhome.com/collection/cheap-dinner-ideas/
- Bon Appetit: https://www.bonappetit.com/gallery/cheap-recipes
- Food Waste: https://www.choosemyplate.gov/resources/lets-talk-trash