Personal Trainers consist of student staff in the ARC and CRCE facilities. Applicants interested in the position of a personal trainer with Campus Recreation should know that there will be additional training required for the process of getting nationally certified. During this in-house training, you will be expected to study on your own for an approved national certification to supplement your in-house training. Campus Recreation supports the following personal training certifications: ACE, ACSM, NASM, and NSCA. The average cost to get certified is about $500.
Campus Recreation has an educational alliance with the National Academy of Sports Medicine and students can receive a 20% discount on their educational materials and exam. You will just need to contact NASM directly and let them know you are with the University of Illinois and would like to receive the discount.
Before you can start working with clients you must first successfully complete our in-house training program/practicals and obtain an approved national certification.
- Educate clients and enforce policies regarding the safe and proper use of equipment and facility.
- Develop, document, and implement one-on-one, partner, or group workout programs that match the needs and goals of clients.
- Instruct clients on basic exercise physiology and inform them as to proper lifting and exercise techniques.
- Providing all the necessary information, techniques, and proper procedures for working out and helping patrons stay active and healthy.
- Previous experience in supervising and instructing participants in a fitness environment is required.
- Includes office responsibilities associated with the successful operation of the personal training program.
- They are responsible for assigning new clients to the personal training staff and assisting with educational offerings for our personal trainers.
- They will also assist with client tracking, report generation, and the payroll procedures associated with the personal training program.