Interested in becoming a Group Fitness Instructor?
Group fitness consists of a variety of fitness-related classes that may range from cardio, dance fitness, water, strength, and mind/body options. When you apply to become an instructor for Campus Recreation, you will be required to show proof of your group fitness certification(s). You must complete a successful interview and an audition demonstrating the ability to provide a quality group fitness class. If you have questions pertaining to this process, please contact Alana Harris.
Campus Recreation prefers to hire students who have already earned their group fitness certification(s). Although any nationally-recognized format will be considered, we are currently looking to hire Instructors who are certified to teach:
- Water Aerobics
Les Mills Format Instructors
Are you interested in becoming a Les Mills Group Fitness Instructor? Campus Recreation will host multiple training sessions this year for some of your favorite programs like BODYPUMP, BODYCOMBAT, BODYJAM, BODYATTACK, and BODYFLOW. Complete information about these programs and Les Mills.
The first step to qualify to attend Les Mills training is to apply to be a Campus Recreation group fitness instructor. Campus Recreation employees receive a 50% discount on training. If you have questions, please email Alana Harris.
Campus Recreation will host two Les Mills Certification Courses
- Currently being scheduled.
Please note: Les Mills certification training is a two-day weekend module that requires 100% attendance and participation. Les Mills instructors are expected to pay for their own music and choreography once per quarter ($35 per format) once they have successfully completed training. Furthermore, once certification training is complete, new group fitness instructors will still have to audition for a spot on our group fitness schedule.
Entry Level Positions
Group Fitness Instructors
- Design and instruct high-quality group fitness classes to a diverse group of participants. Help inspire and motivate individuals to engage in healthy fitness-related behaviors while meeting patron needs and goals.
- Must complete group fitness orientation and attend all staff meetings.
FREE Group Fitness Instructor Prep Course
- Students that complete this FREE course can apply to teach for Campus Recreation at the University of Illinois.
- 5-9pm, Friday (2/21) ARC Fitness & Wellness Suite
- 8:30am-5pm, Saturday (2/22) ARC Fitness & Wellness Suite
- 8:30am-5pm, Sunday (2/23 ARC Fitness & Wellness Suite
Register at ARC or CRCE Member Services (must be a current Illinois student to register)
- Previous experience in supervising and instructing participants in a fitness environment is required.
- Includes office responsibilities for the Fitness Operations. Responsible for group fitness classes, instructors, and to assist with educational offerings for our group fitness instructors. They will assist with group fitness classes and report generation and will also assist with the payroll procedures associated with Fitness Operations.