The Campus Bike Center is an on-campus collaboration with The Bike Project of Urbana-Champaign and The University of Illinois. We provide the campus/community with a Do-It-Yourself education workspace and the tools, resources, and instruction on how to maintain and repair a bicycle.
Instructor & Mechanic
- Instructors/Mechanics are tasked with welcoming and educating patrons about The Campus Bike Center, as well as guiding basic repairs and diagnoses for users.
- General shop duties include building bicycles, cleaning, sweeping, and organizing bicycles and bicycle parts.
- 4-20 hours/week on a semester-by-semester basis; 2-6 pm Mon-Thurs, 2-5:30 pm Fridays.
- Interpersonal skills and comfort with people of all races, ages, nationalities, and socioeconomic levels.
- Mechanical experience/aptitude desired but training is possible
- Must listen and follow directions well
- Commitment to bettering cycling and active transportation on the University campus as well as the Champaign-Urbana community
- Ability to multitask and work well in a fast-paced, challenging environment
Working Environment/Minimum Physical Requirements
The position requires at least 4 hours per week of standing, walking, kneeling, crouching, bending and lifting. In the summer months, it can get very warm in the Campus Bike Center. Candidates must be able to work in a crowded, hot, busy space from May – October.