The Campus Bike Center is an on-campus collaboration with The Bike Project of Urbana-Champaign and The University of Illinois. We provide the campus/community with a Do-It-Yourself education workspace and the tools, resources, and instruction on how to maintain and repair a bicycle.
Campus Bike Center Instructor & Mechanic
- Instructors/Mechanics are tasked with welcoming and educating patrons about The Campus Bike Center, as well as guiding basic repairs and diagnoses for users.
- General shop duties include building bicycles, cleaning, sweeping, and organizing bicycles and bicycle parts.
- 4-20 hours/week on a semester-by-semester basis; 2-6 pm Mon-Thurs, 2-5:30 pm Fridays.
- Interpersonal skills and comfort with people of all races, ages, nationalities, and socioeconomic levels.
- Mechanical experience/aptitude desired but training is possible
- Must listen and follow directions well
- Commitment to bettering cycling and active transportation on the University campus as well as the Champaign- Urbana community
- Ability to multitask and work well in a fast-paced, challenging environment
Working environment/Minimum Physical Requirements
The position requires at least 4 hours per week of standing, walking, kneeling, crouching, bending and lifting. In the summer months, it can get very warm in the space. Candidates must be able to work in a crowded, hot, busy space from May – October.