Refer to this page to find answers to your most pressing questions regarding COVID-19 health and safety precautions at Campus Rec.
Your safety, and that of our staff, is our top priority, and we have implemented health and safety guidelines set by the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH), the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), and the University of Illinois. Many of our services, amenities, and activities will shift as health and safety guidelines continue to change, and some of our spaces may enact capacity limits.
Frequently Asked Questions
We continue to update this page with questions and answers, so check back often. Please contact us if you have any questions or concerns that this page does not address.
Which facilities are open? Which facilities are closed?
Open, no reservation required
- Lower Level weight area
- Open cardio areas on the main and upper levels, including the track
- Gyms 1 and 2
- Gym 4 – cardio, strength, and accessory equipment
- Outdoor pool
- Climbing wall
- Locker rooms and all gender restrooms
- Outdoor Center Fields
- Illini Grove
Open at the ARC by appointment/reservation only
- Gym 3 – badminton
- Racquetball/squash courts
- Indoor pool
Closed facilities (some facilities may be open for Campus Rec programming and COVID-19 testing only)
- All CRCE facilities
- Ice Arena
- Complex Fields
Is a reservation required to access the ARC?
Online reservations are required for badminton and the racquetball/squash courts. Reservations for these spaces open at 7:30AM, three days in advance. The indoor pool and climbing wall will also require online reservations.
How will members gain entry to the facility?
Members will enter through the main entrance off of Peabody Drive. To gain access to the workout areas, members will be required to swipe their i-card and present verification of their Building Access via the Safer Illinois app.
If you are waiting for your vaccination card to be verified on the Safer Illinois app, you will need to continue regular testing in order maintain building access. At this time, we cannot verify your vaccination status with your physical card. For more information about obtaining your vaccination verification and questions about the process, visit the campus COVID-19 website.
Unless told otherwise, patrons with a reservation and patrons wanting access to open cardio areas should swipe in at the entrance. If you need to make a reservation, or have been told to check in for a scheduled program instead of swipe in, go to the Member Services desk.
What are the capacity limits for each area and how long are the reservable time blocks?
Refer to the Facility Access page for capacity limits and information on time blocks for each space.
How do I make a reservation?
To make an online reservation, follow the steps below. Reservations open for courts at 7:30AM, three days in advance. Reservations last 45 minutes and begin at the top of the hour.
- Login to the Active Illini web portal
- For login instructions, visit the Active Illini informational page
- Click on the “Facility Reservations” button on the homepage
- Select the facility you want to reserve from the list
- Select the date and time you want to reserve and click “Book Now”
- A confirmation email will be sent to you with the reservation information
What are the hours of operation for ARC?
Hours of operations for all Campus Rec facilities can be found on the Active Illini facilities page.
Will my membership be valid upon arrival?
All students taking 3 or more credit hours for Summer 2021, whether virtual or in-person, will be assessed the Student Service Fee for this term. This gives student access to Campus Rec facilities starting on May 24 through August 23, 2021.
Students not enrolled in a summer course, but enrolled for Fall 2021, can purchase a summer membership at the faculty/staff rate.
Learn more about purchasing a Membership on the Membership Fee page.
Are locker and/or locker rentals available?
What are your expectations of members?
The safety of our employees and our members is a shared responsibility. As such, we expect all patrons to:
- Stay home or go home if they feel ill or present any COVID-19 related symptoms.
- Wear a face mask if you are not fully vaccinated (14 days after final dose) and that all facility policies, rules, and guidelines are followed:
- Patrons will be asked to comply with guidance and direction provided by staff
- Wash hands often following CDC recommendations
- Wipe down equipment before and after each use with wipes / disinfectant provided
- Respect and follow safety procedures, guidelines, directional signage, and instructions from employee & professional staff
Are masks required?
- Face coverings are not required for those who are fully vaccinated (14 days after final dose).
- Individuals who are not fully vaccinated will be required to wear a face covering and practice social distancing indoors and outdoors.
- All are welcome to continue mask use at their own discretion/safety needs.
- Compliance with this new guidance will be enforced on the honor system. We are asking you to be honest with one another out of respect for patron and staff health and safety.
What facility access options are available?
Guest passes and children’s passes can be purchased at the ARC member services desk.
Are racquetball / squash / handball / basketball / badminton courts open for use?
- Racquetball and Squash Courts are open by reservation only
- Reservations open 3 days in advance and time slots are available in 75-minute increments.
- No fitness equipment is to be moved from the fitness floor into a court.
- Basketball courts in Gyms 1, 2, and 3 are available for open rec usage.
Are competitive sports (intramurals and sports clubs) being offered?
Information about intramurals can be found on the Intramurals page. Summer 2021 activities will be posted on the Intramural Calendar page. Club Sports practice information will be communicated directly to each club and all organizations must adhere departmental, university, and state guidelines.
Is the ARC Indoor Pool open?
Yes, the ARC Indoor Pool is open by online reservation. Refer to the Active Illini facilities page for more information.
Is the sauna at the ARC open?
The sauna is open! Capacity guidelines will be monitored and enforced.
Are Group Fitness Classes available?
Group Fitness Classes are being offered in-person and virtually.
How many air changes per hour are there on the track and upstairs fitness machines?
We utilize a central air system, so the air is filtered and recycled throughout the facility.
Is there be a capacity limit for the ARC?
ARC will have varying capacity limits depending on current state guidelines. To see the current ARC capacity, visit the Live Facility Counts page. This page will also show a live capacity counts for each workout area in the ARC.