Refer to this page to find answers to your most pressing questions regarding COVID-19 health and safety precautions at Campus Rec.
Your safety, and that of our staff, is our top priority, and we have implemented health and safety guidelines set by the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH), the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), and the University of Illinois. Many of our services, amenities, and activities will shift as health and safety guidelines continue to change.
Frequently Asked Questions
We continue to update this page with questions and answers, so check back often. Please contact us if you have any questions or concerns that this page does not address.
Is a reservation required to access the ARC?
Online reservations are required for the indoor pool, gym 3 badminton, and the racquetball/squash courts. Reservations for these spaces open at 7:30am, three days in advance.
How do members gain entry into the facility?
Starting Monday, May 16, per updated university policy, building access via the Illinois app will no longer be required for university-affiliated patrons to enter Campus Rec facilities. Additionally, non-affiliated patrons will no longer be required to answer COVID-19 health-related questions.
To enter, patrons can swipe their i-card/visitor card or continue to scan their QR code in the Illinois app.
Unless told otherwise, patrons with a reservation and patrons wanting access to open cardio areas should swipe in at the entrance. If you need to make a reservation, or have been told to check in for a scheduled program instead of swipe in, go to the Member Services desk.
What are the capacity limits for each area
There are no capacity limits at this time.
How do I make a reservation?
To make an online reservation, follow the steps below. Reservations open for courts at 7:30am, three days in advance. Reservations last 45 minutes and begin at the top of the hour.
- Login to the Active Illini web portal
- For login instructions, visit the Active Illini informational page
- Click on the “Facility Reservations” button on the homepage
- Select the space you want to reserve from the list
- Select the date and time you want to reserve and click “Book Now”
- A confirmation email will be sent to you with the reservation information
Are masks required?
Will my membership be valid upon arrival?
All students taking 6 or more credit hours, whether virtual or in-person, will be assessed the Student Service Fee for this term. This gives student access to Campus Rec facilities.
Students not enrolled in a summer course, but enrolled for the fall semester, can purchase a summer membership at the faculty/staff rate.
Learn more about purchasing a Membership on the Membership Fee page.
What are expectations for members?
The safety of our employees and our members is a shared responsibility. As such, we expect all patrons to:
- Stay home or go home if they feel ill or present any COVID-19 related symptoms.
- Follow facility policies, rules, and guidelines:
- Patrons will be asked to comply with guidance and direction provided by staff
- Wash hands often following CDC recommendations
- Wipe down equipment before and after each use with wipes / disinfectant provided
- Respect and follow safety procedures, guidelines, directional signage, and instructions from employee & professional staff
What facility access options are available?
Guest passes and children’s passes can be purchased at the ARC member services desk.
Are racquetball / squash / handball / basketball / badminton courts open for use?
- Racquetball and Squash Courts are open by reservation only
- Reservations open 3 days in advance and time slots are available in 75-minute increments.
- No fitness equipment is to be moved from the fitness floor into a court.
Are competitive sports (intramurals and sports clubs) being offered?
Information about intramurals can be found on the Intramurals page. Activities can be found in Active Illini. Club Sports practice information will be communicated directly to each club and all organizations must adhere departmental, university, and state guidelines.
Is the ARC sauna open?
Yes. The ARC sauna is open to patrons without a reservation.
How may air changes per hour are there on the upper level of the ARC?
We utilize a central air system, so the air is filtered and recycled throughout the facility.
Are there capacity limits for the ARC?
ARC will have varying capacity limits depending on current state guidelines. To see the current ARC capacity, visit the Live Facility Counts page. This page will also show a live capacity counts for each workout area in the ARC.